What smells like mustard? The President is a Demmycrat!
outofthenest asked: Can you speak to the ways in which Palestinians within Israel are discriminated against or oppressed? Trying to form a fuller argument with a Zionist who says "well why don't Palestinians in Israel do something within the government or with their votes", which is a super idiotic thing to say and I want to make sure I'm fully clear as to why he's a god damn moron.
The ways in which segregation and discrimination in Israel work aer more complex then what we’re “use to” in the United States in the form of Jim Crow. THey are mostly well designed “de facto” rules, but they are no less real. I’ll simply go through the most glaring examples to give you an idea:
- Most towns and school districts in Israels have a large amount of community control, and they use that to have laws and ordinances banning non-Jews from living in their towns and going to their schools (by some estimates 65% of towns in Israel this is the case).
- 90% of the land within Israel isn’t privately owned, or even publicly owned, its held in a trust with the Jewish National Fund, a private NGO technically but with deep deep deep connections to the state. And the JNF’s policy is to only lease land to Jews, no non-Jews allowed.
- Obviously all Israeli settlements in the West Bank are for only Jews, and people living there get a shit ton of free subsidies from the state.
- Intermarriage (ie “miscegenation” in Jim Crow terminology) is illegal in Israel. All marriages, as well as most civil law, is under the auspices of the Rabbinate of Jerusalem (again, a non-government entity that still wields certain state powers) which believes in an ultra-conservative/orthodox version of Judaism that doesn’t allow Jews marrying non-Jews.
- Many Israeli apologists will make a big deal out of how Palestinian citizens of Israel can still technically vote and all, but they won’t mention a very damning fact: In the 60+ years of Israel’s existence, no Palestinian-Israeli or any of the Palestinian-Israeli political parties have ever once, Not Once, been invited to be part of any of the ruling coalition governments in parliament. In fact they are more likely to be attempted to kick out of parliament, which has happened a bunch of times. Even the most “left” leaning Jewish Zionist parties have openly refused to ever form a voting or coalition block with any Palestinian parties.
- And then theres the more recognizable forms of institutional racism to our US eyes: The inequality of educational resources, the police harassment of youth, and so forth
So this is Eren’s face when he’s in the titan’s tummy
But when you turn it around:
IT LOOKS LIKE WE’D HAVE A FUCKING WEIRD TINY MOUTH AND SHOWING OFF HIS TONGUE I CAN’T BREATH
I AM TERRIFIED RIGHT NOW GET THAT THING AWAY FROM ME